Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Review: Make Up Forever Mat Velvet Plus Foundation and Lioele Triple Solution BB Cream

Happy New Years everyone! I hope everyone had an awesome Christmas and ended 2011 on a good note.

To kick off the start of the New Year, I wanted to do a review on the Make Up Forever (MUFE) Mat Velvet Plus foundation that I got during the Sephora Friends and Family Sale. I have a total of three foundations that I own: Bare Minerals, Lioele Triple Solution BB Cream, and the MUFE Mat Velvet Plus. I haven't touched my Bare Minerals foundation for a looooong time because it doesn't give me the coverage that I want and I find that it accentuates some of the flaky patches I have on my face. For the past month, I've been alternating between my BB Cream and the Mat Velvet to see which one I like better, but there are things that I like and dislike about each product.











Oil Control: The MUFE Mat Velvet Plus wins on the oil control. This didn't surprise me, and if it didn't perform better than the BB cream, I would've returned it because the most attractive selling point (for me, at least) about this product was that it was a matte foundation. I have combination oily skin and I really wanted a foundation that would help to prevent/control the shine that I get as the day goes on. This product definitely has a matte finish, but it doesn't make my face look cakey/powdery or overdone. It's a very natural matte finish and I don't have to blot at all whenever I wear this foundation. If you're really worried that this foundation won't stand up to the oils on your face, I'd recommend buying MAC's blot powder and using that to set your foundation. I use it all the time and it works wonders. I've found that if I don't set my BB Cream with the blot powder, I get oily around my T-zone after about 5 hours of wear. With the Mat Velvet Plus (MVP) I can go up to 8 hours of wear without using the blot powder and not look overly shiny.


Color Matching: Again, the Mat Velvet takes the cake for this category. The BB Cream was a little too light for my skin tone because of my tan from the summer so I have to use a small amount (half a pump) for my entire face. I believe my skin color right now is NC 30 but moving more towards NC 25 since it's winter time. I got the MVP foundation in shade #40 and I picked this color because Frmheadtotoe has about the same skin color as me. This shade matches me perfectly. The BB Cream I have only comes in one shade, so MUFE foundations obviously have a wider range of color selections.


Application: The BB cream wins this one. I like using my stippling brush to apply the BB cream to my face because it gives a nice even finish. For the MVP, I've heard that you can apply it using a stippling brush or your fingers. I've only used my fingers to apply this foundation because it dries extremely fast and I hate wasting product. I don't mind using my fingers to apply the foundation but I prefer using a brush to fingers.


Coverage: BB Cream wins this category. I find that it has slightly better coverage than the MVP for my acne scarring and it also minimizes my pores. The MVP doesn't accentuate my pores, it just doesn't do much or as much as the BB cream.

Price: The MVP is $34 while the BB cream (depending on where/who you buy it from) is about $30. You get more product in from the BB cream (50 ml) than the MVP (1.01 oz) so from the standpoint of getting more bang for your buck, BB cream takes this category as well.

I find myself grabbing for the BB cream more than the MVP lately, but it's probably because my skin is drier now that it's winter time. I'll probably be using the MVP around spring and summer time to help control my oily face. Some other things to consider between these two foundations are the features such as SPF, whitening and waterproof properties. The BB cream has 30SPF, whitening, and wrinkle care properties. The MVP is waterproof.

So, which one do I like better? As of right now, I prefer using my Lioele BB cream, but that's not to say that I don't love the MVP foundation because I do. I'm really glad that I took the plunge to buy it during the Sephora Friends and Family Sale. It honestly all boils down to what I need at the moment, and since it's winter time, I prefer the BB cream because it feels more moisturizing than the MVP, which has a drier feel to it.

I hope this comparison was helpful to some of you. If you have any questions about these foundations, leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment